Friday, August 31, 2012

Getting a grip

This summer has proven to be a challenge artistically. I started off the summer working on a long overdue commission on an old window. It was a coming home moment for me because I haven't worked on a window for a long time. Playing with light and color and texture felt like an extension of myself I had long forgotten. It's not yet done- mostly because I fear finishing it. What I mean by that is CATS. I can't draw them. Never have been able to. And I need to put TWO of them into the window. I once painted something for my mum and I was able to put a horse in the picture as she requested but I hid the horse's head in a long stand of grass. The idea of detailing out the snoot of a horse FREAKED ME OUT. So I chickened out and literally stuck both of our heads in the sand/grass. Sigh. So, this time around, I asked an artist friend of mine with whom I collaborate on occasion (FUN) to paint out the two cats needed to finish this piece. Due to unforeseen circumstances, she had to bail, leaving me standing on a limb having to jump. So. Here we are at the end of August and I need to get it done. It's crippling me now. I can't move onto other painting projects until I get this freaking window out of my studio. This is the harm two black cats can do. I am asking the Universe for guidance on putting these two felines onto the glass. I think I judge myself too much. I need to forgive myself my insecurities around this part of my work- when I don't think I can do something. I hesitate. I inch toward it. I write this post to release some of my nervousness around it. Shazzam! LOL. My will be done. Cats cats cats! In other endeavors, I have been working on new wearable art. Attached is a photo of the arm warmers I am making. The set in the picture was the test and now I am sewing up a storm of ways to keep the arms warm when dancing out under the moon on a chilly night or dressing up a costume or just adding a little flair to an outfit. They are fun to make and I really get into a zone when I'm sewing. I hand sew all of the pieces and edges. I hear that I could machine stitch the edges but my sewing machine tried to eat me alive last time I tried to even hem something so we have issues to work out. I am hoping to sew a lot of these this winter and sell them soon at markets and online.

No comments: