Friday, August 22, 2008

My Sistine Chapel...or is it?


When I receive requests for cards or prints, I am frequently asked for "Looking Towards Bowen" (as seen above). This work represents a turning point for me as an artist. I had been painting landscapes happily and came across these Arbutus trees (aka Madronas for all you Americans) with a backdrop of Bowen Island, BC. As I have mentioned previously, I am drawn to trees- in particular those who shed bark like skin (I love the Birch tree!) and reveal an undertone of different colors. So began the creation of "Bowen". It is my favorite work and I am happy to say the original not only sold but has remained in my family. I can see it anytime I want (by travelling 3000 miles of course) and I love that. When I get requests for commissions, I am often asked to replicate the scene from "Bowen" in some way. There really is only one "Bowen" but I do enjoy depicting that landscape in other scenes. I do love this piece so- it represents where I've come from and definitely has catapulted me to new levels.

No comments: